25 July 2005

Driving in China

After seeing how the Chinese drive, it's a wonder to me that anyone is willing to step onto the street! It seems that yellow and white lines on the road are merely a suggestion. Cars weave in and out of traffic, on either side or sometimes straddling the middle lane marker, even on two lane roads. Riding in the tourist bus, I felt quite safe. But going on my first taxi ride was a terrifying experience. It was all I could do to keep myself from pushing my foot through the floor trying to brake. On the return trip, I put on the seatbelt and got a strange look from the driver. My Chinese companion had a quick conversation and a good laugh with the driver. I remained buckled up.

Bikes and pedestrians are yet another obstacle to throw into the mix. There are people walking and biking on every road. I even saw an elderly man pushing a cart on the main bridge across the Yangtze River, an 8-lane freeway, last night. At unregulated intersections (which is most), it's a big game of "chicken"--who will stop first and let the other go ahead. Surprisingly, there are very few accidents, and not one case of road rage. Horns are rarely used, from what I've seen. There are plenty of signs that show what looks like a bugle with a red line running through it. It took several days to realize this means "no honking allowed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home